There are some changes in the Post study work rights for international students studying in New Zealand. These changes would be effective from 26 November 2018.
If you are an international student aspiring to study in New Zealand you would be considered for Post Study Work Visa under these new rules.
If you are granted a post study work visa before26 November 2018 you would be considered under current PSW rules. You may be eligible to have any job and employer stated on your work visa removed after 26 November 2018 and thus the applicants if they change their job, do not have to contact Immigration New Zealand.
So as per these new changes if you apply for your student visa and do
- A level 7 Bachelor’s degree you are eligible for a 3 year post study work visa
- A level 7 graduate diploma would make you eligible for 1 year post study work visa if you study in Auckland and additional one year if you are working toward a professional registration
- A level 7 graduate diploma outside Auckland would make you eligible for a 2 year Post study work visa.
- Any level 7 non degree qualification would make you eligible for one year Post Study work visa in Auckland and 2 years of PSW if your study outside Auckland
- Any 2 qualification from level 4 to 6 would be eligible for one year post study work visa in Auckland and two years if study outside of Auckland.
- Any single qualification of duration of 2 years from level 4 to 6 would again be eligible for 1 year PSW in Auckland and 2 years PSW outside Auckland
To be eligible for a 2 years’ Post Study Work Visa outside Auckland you must complete your qualification by 31 December 2021. After this date the PSW would be for one year except for a qualification at a Graduate Diploma level WHERE you are working toward registration with a professional body or a trade ( 2 years PSW) and a level 7 Bachelors degree or above( 3 years PSW).
The duration of your course is very critical. Your single qualification must be of at least 30 weeks duration. So if you are doing 2 years of 2 qualifications from level 4 to level 6 each qualification must be of at least 30 weeks. A single qualification from level 4 to level 6 of 2 years must be of 60 weeks duration.
Existing Student Visa Holders as of 8 August 2018
If you are currently on a student visa or your application is under process at INZ then you are eligible for 3 years Post Study Work visa for below qualifications
- Level 7 Bachelors or above
- Non degree level 7 courses
- Single qualification from level 4 to 6
- 2 qualifications from level 4 to 6
Existing Post Study Work Visa Holders
- If you already hold a one year post study work visa as of 8 august 2018 then from 26 November 2018 you may be eligible for further 2 year post study work visa.
- If you are holder of 2 year employer assisted post study work visa then from 26 November 2016 you may be eligible to have employer and job stated on your visa removed. This means that in case you change your job you do not need to contact Immigration New Zealand.
West Highlander is a signatory of pastoral care for international students, hence welfare of student is very important to us. We offer transparent and unbiased guidance to students. Ms. Parwinder Kaur a key person at West Highlander is a licensed immigration adviser by IAA since 2010.Please feel free to contact us for free and up to dated information regarding study in New Zealand.