Australia has come up with major development in skilled visa category. It has revealed a new visa program for those who are seeking entry in the country on the basis of their skills. The country has introduced Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa which replaced the 457 visa program. The TSS visa comprises of a short-Term stream allowing immigrants to stay up to two years, and a Medium-Term Stream allows stay up to four years.
This is a short-term visa which can be renewed once only. The STSOL occupation list will apply for Short-term stream applicants. Persons who holds Medium-Stream visa may renew their visas onshore and may also apply for permanent residence pathway if he or she works for three years in Australia. The MLTSSL occupation list will apply for Medium-Stream visa applicants. The stream is quite similar to the 457 visa somewhat.
- Regulation for both streams:
- High English Language level is must
- Mandatory Labour Market Testing
- Set Australian Market Salary Rates
- Minimum of two years past experience in a similar role
- Additional Character, Anti-discrimination and Training Requirement
The government is currently looking to finalizing a pathway to permanent residency for candidates 45 years old and more. Visa holders can work for three years with the same employer following new proposal. Earlier, the requirement was for four years. The program brings a big smile to the aspirants who are seeking to move Australia.
Currently, there is no age restriction for candidates wondering to file a TSS visa application, though age limits still applicable to other program such as the Employer Nomination (Subclass 186) and Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187) visa.
Higher Fees for Visa Holders and Employers
Visa applicants will also be impacted with higher free when they would apply to the skilled visa program. If applying for short-term visa the cost will increase from $1,060 to $1,150, whereas the price of the medium-term visa is set to spike to $2,400 each. Moreover, companies will have to be required to pay yearly foreign worker tax to support government’s new skilling Australian Fund.
- The required capital will differ on the size of business looking to hire TSS visa workers. Employers are required to support a fixed visa fee including a larger on-off payment to the department.
- Enterprises with an annual turnover of less than $10 million annually will be needed to pay $1,200 yearly for each worker they wish to employ on a TSS visa.
- Such companies are also required to make a one-off payment of $3,000 to the department for each employee while sponsoring for a permanent employer nomination or regional sponsored migration visa.
- Big companies with annual turnover more than $10 million will be slugged with a yearly free of $1,800 for every TSS visa worker employed.
- They would be subject to a one-off payment of $5,000 for every employee they chose to hire as part of the permanent employer nomination or regional sponsored migration visa scheme.