I am recently married to an Australian resident. How do I join my partner in Australia?

You may apply for partner provisional visa subclass 309 leading directly to permanent partner visa subclass 100 to join your partner in Australia. To be eligible for this visa you must be in a genuine relationship with your Australian partner.

The processing time of this visa subclass 309 is about 15 to 17 months. This means that you will have to wait for about 15 months to join your partner on this visa. However you need not wait for this long to be with your spouse in Australia. After applying your spouse/ dependent visa subclass 309 you may apply for visitor visa 600 to Australia. The processing time of this visa is about 20 days. So while your partner visa 309 is under process you may travel to Australia on visa subclass 600.

To be eligible to apply for this partner provisional visa you must fulfil the following

  • Your marriage must be recognised under Australian law
  • You must have a genuine and continuing relationship with your Australian partner
  • You must meet the health requirements
  • You must meet the character requirements
  • You must have social recognition of your relationship
  • You must show that you share finances and other household responsibilities

Relationship documents differ from case to case. It is very important that you provide documents which show all the aspects of your relationship for the case officer to assess your case positively.

We at West Highlander have till date successfully helped number of clients join their partners in Australia. The journey of our clients started with applying for partner provisional visa subclass 309. While this application is under process we lodge their visitor visa subclass 600. The decision of this visitor visa subclass comes within 20 to 30 days. The applicant travels to Australia on this visa to be with the Australian partner on visitor via subclass 600 while their application for 309 is under process.  You need to be outside of Australia when the decision on your 309 application is made. Once your 309 partner application which is a provisional is approved you may stay with your partner in Australia till the decision on your permanent partner visa application 100 is made.

We at West Highlander Chandigarh ensure that our clients have a very smooth experience with the visa application process. Parwinder Kaur one of the directors of West Highlander is a registered MARA agent with Office of Migration Authority of Australia (OMARA) having 14 years of experience in dealing with partner visa applications.