Everything you need to know about Master’s in Social Work in Australia. Expertly compiled information by MARA agent about the top colleges, tuition fee, English proficiency and academic requirements along with available scholarships for Master in Social work in Australia present West Highlander, Immigration and consultant services. Master’s in Social work in Australia for international students would open many doors while looking for a career in the betterment of society, individuals and childcare. There are a lot of options for Social work courses in Australia for international students. Master’s in Social Work being a prime option as it is a Level 9 of qualification, making their chances of a brighter career brighter.
This blog covers
- Why opt for Master’s in social work in Australia
- Academic and English Proficiency test requirements and intakes for Master’s in social work in Australia
- Master’s of Social work in Australia fees and best colleges
- Scholarships available for Master’s in social work in Australia
- Job opportunities after Master’s in Social Work in Australia for international students
Why opt for Master’s in social work in Australia
Students who feel like they want to make a difference in the society can opt for Master’s in social work in Australia. This will give them a chance to learn how to provide professional help to individuals for their social and mental health. Master’s in Social work for international students enables them to work in Psychiatric clinics, NGO’S and hospitals as social workers.
After successfully completing their Master’s in social work in Australia, students can apply for and take membership in AASW (Australia Association of Social workers), after being approved from AASW they can become professional practitioners. They would be able to learn about social work theory and integrated methods, community development, human rights, child welfare and they would be able to bring about social justice as well.
The Master’s in Social work for international students is perfect blend of classroom learning and real world practice. There are on campus workshops which gives them a chance to practice what they have learned.
Academic and English Proficiency test requirements and intakes for Master’s in social work in Australia
Master’s in Social work in Australia can be pursued by Indian students by meeting a few requirements, for the academic part the students need to have a Bachelor’s degree in the related field and in some universities they can have the bachelor degree in any field and they can be eligible for entering the program Master’s in Social work in Australia.
There are two major intakes for Master’s in social work in Australia, mainly February and July, it may differ depending on institution and institution.
For the English proficiency test requirements the students can give either the IELTS or the TOEFL exam. The IELTS test requirement can be anywhere between 6.5 or 7.0 overall bands, as per the demand of the particular university.
In the TOEFL test the students can have minimum overall score of 70-100 depending the institution.
Master’s of Social work in Australia fees and best colleges
Charles Darwin University
- The total of the course in this university is two years and total credit points required are 160.
- The applicants would need to have 1 year of full time study in behavior or social science at diploma or above level (or this one year study should be included in the bachelor’s degree). The tuition fee per year is AUD $31,000 (may increase yearly).
- The students should have IELTS band score of 7.0 overall and no less than 7.0 bands in each module.
- In the TOEFL test minimum overall score 94, they need to have minimum score of 24 in reading, 27 in writing and 23 in speaking.
- For the PTE test they are required to have minimum score of 65, in all the parts.
The students will require to have 7.0 overall as well as 7.0 minimum in all the modules. In their IELTS test. The approximate annual tuition fee is AUD $26,200. The applicants will also need to have WWC; Working with Children Check, this is necessary.
University of New South Wales
The annual fee for Master in Social work in this institute is AUD $18,240 per year. The requirement for the IELTS test is 7.0 bands overall and 6.0 minimum in all the modules.
For the TOEFL test they can have 70 overall score and 17 minimum in each part.
University OF Queensland
The tuition fee for University of Queensland is approx. AUD $20,808 annually. 6.5 overall is the minimum requirement for the IELTS score with no less than 6.0 in each module. For the TOEFL test the students can have 87 minimum score overall.
University of Newcastle
AUD $29,755 is the tentative tuition fee for Master’s of Social work for one year. The students will require to have a bachelor degree in this related field.
The students can score an overall of 6.5 bands and individually 6.0 bands in each module. In the TOEFL test they can have minimum score of 83-93 overall and individually score a minimum of 23 in reading, 22 in listening, 24 in speaking and in writing 26.
La Trobe University
In the IELTS test the international students need to have a minimum overall score of 6.5 and for the TOEFL test 79 is minimum score required, with 13 in reading, 21 in writing and 18 in speaking.
The annual tuition fee for this program is around AUD $33,600 and the university requires the students to have their bachelor’s degree in a related field.
University of Western Australia (UWA)
UWA requires the students to have a minimum of 7.0 overall score in the IELTS score and in the TOEFL test 94 overall with minimum of 27 in reading, 23 in speaking and 24 in reading. The tentative tuition fee annually is AUD $32,200.
James Cook University
JCU has the minimum overall score limit of 6.0 in IELTS and 6.0 bands minimum in each module. In the TOEFL test the minimum overall score is 74 and 18 minimum in each part of the test. The approximate tuition fee is AUD $30,500 per year.
The university requires the applicants to have 7.0 overall bands in the IELTS score and 6.5 minimum score in each module. In the TOEFL test the score requirement is 71; 19 in writing, 17 in speaking, listening and reading.
The program offered by Excelsia College in social work is Master of Social Work (Qualifying). The approximate tuition fee is AUD $20,520 per year. This is one of the most affordable colleges in terms of tuition fee for Master’s of Social work in Australia for international students.
The major intakes are done in February and July. In the IELTS exam the students need to score 7.0 overall bands and 6.5 minimum in each module.
Scholarships available for Master’s in social work in Australia
There are a number of scholarships in place for Social work courses in Australia for international students. There are a few listed below for Master’s in social work.
- JCU Postgraduate Research Scholarship offered by the James Cook University provides $28,092 per year.
- University of New South Wales gives the scholarship Frank Knox Memorial Fellowships which offers AUD $32,000 annually.
- International Student Excellence Scholarship – Postgraduate Coursework is offered by Griffin University it helps in the deduction of the 25% of the tuition fee.
- There is a deduction of the 15-25% of the yearly tuition fee with the La Trobe College Excellence Scholarship by La Trobe University.
- University of Queensland offers $26,682 yearly with the UQ Graduate School Scholarships.
Job opportunities after Master’s in Social Work in Australia for international students
There are many firms that offer social support in various fields, the health sector has the most requirement of social workers. After successfully completing their Master’s in Social Work in Australia the students can work in the health care industry as Counselors for families, occupational therapists and midwives.
The graduates can also work in Public Administration and safety department, Health care assistance, Educational institutes and offer Mental Health Help.