A Doctor of Philosophy is the highest academic degree. New Zealand has been one of the favourite destinations for international students because they charge domestic fees and also give a stipend. Various universities offer a number of scholarships to international students, because of which they can study without any extra burden on their pockets.
This article has all the information you need about a PhD in New Zealand, including the fees, scholarships, stipend, and visa process. West Highlander has helped students who want to study in New Zealand for the past 17 years and will continue to do so. Expert counsellors have gathered information from reliable sources that will guide you through all the universities that offer PhD courses in New Zealand. We assure you that at the end of this article, you will be enlightened with all the information one needs to know while looking at the PhD courses at the universities in New Zealand.
In this article-
- Best PhD courses at the universities of New Zealand
- Perks of pursing PhD from New Zealand
- Scholarships that are offered by the universities of New Zealand
- Visa process while going to New Zealand for international students
- How much does a PhD cost in New Zealand
- Is it easy to get PhD admission in New Zealand
- Stipend of PhD in New Zealand
- Fully Funded PhD programs in New Zealand
- PhD in New Zealand cost
- PhD in New Zealand for the international students
- Is IELTS score is required for getting admission in PhD in New Zealand
- PhD fees in New Zealand for international students
- New Zealand PhD scholarships for international students
- PhD duration in New Zealand
- PhD at the University of Auckland
- PhD at the Victoria University
- PhD at the University of Waikato
- PhD at the University of Otago
- PhD at the Massey University
- PhD at the University of Canterbury
- PhD at the Lincoln University
- Documents that are required to get admission to the PhD courses
Here is a list of universities that offer PhD courses at the universities of New Zealand-
University of Auckland is one of the best universities in New Zealand and is globally recognized. The duration of the doctorate degrees is 3–4 years, which is available at various campuses like Epsom, Grafton, City, Newmarket, and Overseas. The PhD program is available in over 100 subjects. The research will be done under the supervision of academic experts and research leaders. Some of the programs in which PhDs are available at the University of Auckland are accounting, criminology, chemistry, geography, geology, anthropology, law, linguistics, and many more. The PhD program is designed in such a way that by the end of the first year, you will have to complete a lot of milestones to be confirmed into this programme, including developing the thesis-program. After the confirmation, you will have three years to complete your research. The examination process also includes an oral exam. The fee for this program is approximately $7,659, equal to that of international students.
For international students who want to take admission to this course, the university has some criteria by which you have to fulfil some minimum program requirements before you will be eligible for the PhD program.
- A master’s degree is required for admission to this course, or an equivalent bachelor’s degree with honours.
- Research is usually undertaken as a part of a prior study.
- An academic score of 6.5 overall is required for international students.
Victoria University is another well-known university that offers PhD programs for international students. The PhD program is designed in such a way that it will help generate cognitive, research, and technical skills. The program is designed to generate original knowledge and engage in critical reflection. This program will help you adapt and develop research methodologies to redefine existing knowledge. The fee for this course is approximately $11,000–$14,500. The program will give you the opportunity to develop specialized research skills and gain systematic. There are some entry requirements you need to fulfil in order to get admission to this program-
- Prior qualification must be done in English.
- An IELTS score of 6 overall bands is required.
- You can also submit your TOEFL score; a minimum score of 79 is required for this course.
The University of Waikato is another famous university that offers PhD programs for international students. The program must be carried out under the supervision of two staff members. One of the study locations for the program is Hamilton. The program is offered by universities in fields like arts, IT, engineering, law, science, and many others. The approximate fees for this course is $6,615–$7,024. The students must have important information about their research choices.
University of Otago is another university that offers PhD programs which the highest degree offered by the university. The degree is awarded upon completion of the thesis, which has to meet some requirements. It is a 3- to 4-year program. The requirements you have to fulfil to get admission to the program are-
- The Senate approves admission to this program.
- The candidate must be a university graduate. The student must have an equivalent Bachelor’s degree with honours, a master’s degree, or research experience.
There are some additional requirements for the examination of the program-
- The thesis may not exclude 100,000 words of texts, footnotes, and bibliographies.
- A thesis that has already been submitted for another degree will not be accepted.
The University of Massey is another famous university that offers PhD programmes in a diverse range of fields. It is a three-year program. The program is designed in such a way that it will help you develop communication skills, intensive writing skills, and thesis writing. The program will help you with infrastructure and support that will be needed by you in order to complete the program. The university will provide you with highly tailored research training programs like highly tailored writing sessions, project management, understanding research funding, entrepreneurship, and innovation. The approximate fees for this course is $19,600–$33,760. There are some specific requirements that are needed to get admission to this college:
- Independent research experience.
- Have completed a postgraduate bachelor’s or master’s degree or equivalent qualification.
- A score of 6.5 bands in IELTS overall is required for international students. The students can also submit their TOEFL score. A minimum of 90 overall bands are required for this program.
Lincoln University is another university that offers a PhD program for international students. It is a 3-year full-time course at the Lincoln University Campus. It creates a lot of opportunities to challenge yourself with new ways of thinking, problem solving, absorbing new research, and innovative ideas. There are some entry requirements that need to be fulfilled by the candidates in order to get admission to this program-
- Postgraduate honours degree
- Previous qualifications must include a significant research component, a thesis, and a dissertation or project.
- There are some English Language Requirements that must be fulfilled by international students. An overall score of 6.5 bands in IELTS is required for international students; an overall score of 80 is required for international students.
Scholarships that are offered by the international students-
The University of Auckland offers scholarships on the basis of leadership potential, sporting potential, personal qualities, academic grades, or achievements. Choose your course of study.
- The University of Auckland Senior Health Research Scholarship: It is a scholarship that is offered for international students and offers up to $40,000 for international students pursuing research in health-related areas.
- University of Auckland Doctoral Scholarship: The scholarship is offered to international students who are pursuing a doctorate degree. The scholarship is to support and encourage international doctoral candidates who wish to conduct research.
- The Kate Edger Educational Charitable Trust Dame Dorothy Winstone Doctoral Completion Award: This scholarship program offers an award of $16,000 to support women doctoral students so that they can complete their doctorate program at the University of Auckland.
- Dean’s International Doctoral Scholarship: The scholarship of $28,000 is awarded to international students who are pursuing a full-time PhD in the faculty of Medical and Health Sciences.
- University of Auckland Faculty of Engineering Doctoral Scholarship: The award is given to international students to encourage and support academically excellent students who enrolled themselves in the faculty of engineering with an amount of $33,000 with domestic fees and health insurance.
The University of Otago is another famous university that offers a vast number of scholarships for international students. This scholarship is available for international students who are seeking to obtain their first doctoral qualification. An annual stipend of $30,696 is awarded to international students.
The University of Otago Special Health Research Scholarship is offered to international students who are planning to study full-time and are seeking to obtain their first doctoral scholarship. A stipend of $30,696 is given to the international students.
The University of Otago Doctoral Scholarship is another degree that is offered to international students with a stipend of $30,696 and domestic tuition fee waiver funds. The selection of this scholarship basically happens on the basis of academic merit.
Perks of getting admission at the universities of New Zealand:
- The universities are inexpensive.
- There are various opportunities for research.
- The universities charge the same amount in domestic fees for international students.
- Students will be able to work full-time while studying.
- Public-regulated universities.
- A diverse range of career opportunities.
- The courses at the universities are accredited by the universities.
Documents that are required to get admission to the PhD courses:
- Curriculum Vitae
- IELTS Score certificate
- Academic transcripts
- Study Visa
Study Visa Process
- The first and foremost step of the student visa process is to find a program that is related to your previous qualifications. This is an important step in the visa process because your whole application depends on the program you have chosen to study in.
- The second and another important step of the visa application is to submit the required documents that support your application, such as:
- Documents proving previous academic qualifications
- Statement of Purpose
- Documents showing work experience
- Proof of English Language Proficiency Test
- Passport copy as an identity proof
- For a fair chance of admission to the best universities in New Zealand, you have to submit your documents properly.
- You need to also submit:
- Family Income Proofs
- Medical Documents
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Proof of funds for the full duration of the course
- After submitting these documents, you need to send your passport to TT Services for verification purposes and then wait for the decision from Immigration New Zealand.
For more information visit– New Zealand study visa process 2023 (westhighlander.com)