There are several dental schools in Canada which require some prior university study including a strong background and interest in science to pursue Post Graduate Dental Courses in Canada after BDS in India. There are several Post Graduate Dental Courses in Canada after BDS in India. Going forward we will be discussing the best Post Graduate Dental Courses along with universities and colleges in Canada.
One can opt for several Master’s programs and diploma courses in Dental discipline in Canada to add another feather to the reputed profession.
Post Graduate Dental Courses in Canada
- Certificate in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Dental Hygiene (DHYG)
- Dental Hygiene Diploma
- Diploma in Dental Hygiene
- Certified Dental Assistant Certificate
- Sc in Periodontics
- Masters in Paediatric dentistry
- Masters in Craniofacial Science and Prosthodontics
- Master in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Sc Dentistry
- Sc Prosthodontics
- Masters in Orthodontics
- Doctor of Dental Medicine
- International Dentist Advanced Placement Program
- International Dental Degree Completion Program; are some of the reputed programs for applicants looking for an edge with their BDS degrees and plan to pursue a post graduate dental course.
Universities in Canada for PG Dental Courses after BDS in India
- McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
- Cambrian College, Greater Sudbury, Canada
- Vancouver Island University, Nanaimo, Canada
- University of the Fraser Valley, Abbotsford, Canada
- College of New Caledonia, Prince George, Canada
- Vancouver Community College, Vancouver, Canada
- University of Manitoba
- University of British Columbia
- University of Alberta
- University of Toronto
Post Graduate Dental Course Study Requirement
Following are the requirements for PG Dental Courses in Canada:
- Applicants need to have completed their BDS in India from a reputed university/college with 65%-70% aggregate.
- Mark sheets and Transcripts and other academic records.
- Language Proficiency score of IELTS 6.5 and above is required by the universities and colleges in Canada.
- Moreover, students need a GIC of 10,000 CAD and have proof of financial sufficiency.
The cost of these courses could vary from university and college and on an average a student would be spending around CAD 25000. Further, students can take on a financial scholarship and bursaries which are available for students who have shown excellent academic record and have also extracurricular activities during their academic pursuit.
Part time work options are also available for students in Canada, wherein an international student is allowed to work 20 hours per week and full time during holidays and study breaks. Visa extension or Post Graduate Work Permit is available for students depending on the course duration. A 2 year study course can provide you 3 years of Post Graduate Work Permit. For the same one must consult their study advisor for guidance. West Highlander is the best study consultant in Chandigarh and can assist you with tailor made courses and programs as per your requirement and interest.
Careers in Canada after dentistry courses
In Canada, dentistry is a regulated and superlative profession which is highly in demand. There are more possibilities for foreigners to get settled there with the help of the work they do. Like every profession, dentistry has its own prominence there in Canada, with more job opportunities and high income.
A person with a BDS from India can work as,
- Associate dentist
- Dental assistant
- Dental service director
- General practitioner
- Research assistant
There are more non-clinical jobs for the candidates with a Bachelor of Dental Surgery, which is happily remunerative.
For those who are willing to study further after BDS, and take on a PG Dental course there are more programs offered. If a person completed BDS and wants to become a dentist in Canada, he/she needs to get through the qualifying exams which satisfies the Canadian requirement of competencies to begin the career.
Students need to qualify the exams conducted by NDEB, The National Dental Examining Board of Canada. If the candidate gets through the exam, then he/she can practice as a dental surgeon or can study further.
Also, the candidate after the course must be qualified or certified by the Commission of Dental Accreditation of Canada (CDAC), which is a degree-granting organisation for the dentists in Canada.
Choosing West Highlander for Study Abroad
At West Highlander we streamline and provide free of charge personalized counselling to the student based on their destination, institution, course or any level of study. Our team consists of licensed and experience professional who can provide you individual attention and guidance throughout the process from beginning to end. We are the direct link between your choices of university with our several networks.