There are some inherent differences that differentiate one form of educational institution from another. To study in Canada, there are universities and community colleges for tertiary level education. The domestic and international students, both can apply to these institutions to attain education but to enroll international students, the institution must have unique Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number which grants the status of international institution to the educational institution. Now, let us understand the favors or benefits one kind of institution has over the other.
Canadian Universities –
The universities are giant institutions that have spacious campus or campuses through which education is imparted. These institutions have almost all the programs. They adhere to the standards they propose and provide invaluable education.
- These institutions have bachelors, masters and doctoral level programs. They also have some diploma and certificate programs but the prime focus is on proper degree.
- For study abroad aspirants seeking research opportunities, university is the destination they should apply to.
- The programs are generally of longer duration as bachelors program takes 3 years to complete and with honors, it takes 4 years. The honors year is for gaining deep understanding of the subject and to earn credits to apply for the master’s program.
- Many universities offer professional programs like law, medicine, dentistry, etc.
- Since the programs are of longer duration, the motive is to make students acquire grasp of theoretical, practical and professional requirements of the field.
- They allow work opportunities, internships, and simulation techniques to make students ready to enter the professional world on completion of their education.
- Attaining education at a university costs more than at the college facility, reasons being duration of the program and also the facilities provided.
- To study in Canada at a university means being a part of a multicultural society, participating in sports activities, annual fests, programs and functions, attending seminars, workshops, attending hobby classes and much more. Universities offer a chance to live a fulfilling college life in a congenial environment.
- The universities have comparatively hectic admission procedure.
- They enable students to tailor study programs according to their interests.
Community Colleges –
These educational institutions fascinate those study abroad aspirants who aim to gain international exposure in their field for a year or two.
- They offer full-time and part-time Diploma and Certificate courses. Sometimes, they also provide bachelor’s programs in applied areas of study.
- The duration of the program at community colleges is usually shorter. The Certificate programs take one year or even less to complete and diploma courses are from two to three years.
- The courses are more career oriented and as per the skill requirement by prospective employers.
- They initiate programs in consultation with the industry leaders so as to meet the current demand in the industry. It helps students upgrade their knowledge and skill and acquire ability to gain employment.
- The majority of the programs or courses are of shorter duration and are more result oriented.
- To study in Canada, colleges have low cost options. They emphasize more upon practicality than theory.
By now, we have analysed how community colleges differ from university colleges. It is crucial for study abroad aspirants to understand the difference and make a befitting decision. If you require more information regarding study in Canada, please feel free to contact licensed and experienced professionals at West Highlander. Contact: 9915999677, 9915999766.