Submit only highest degrees for ECA for applying for Canadian Immigration


Good news for all the immigrants aspiring to apply for Canadian immigration. Provider for Educational Credential Assessment ECA, WES certified by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has recently announced that immigrants applying for various immigration programs for Canada now only need to submit their highest degrees for ECA.



Applicants applying for Canadian immigration are required to submit their educational documents in order to verify that their foreign degrees, diplomas or certificates are equivalent to Canadian education and also for claiming points. This verification documents is Educational Credential Assessment and one of the ECA providers is WES. WES has announced that it discourage clients submitting additional credentials for assessment as it slows down the process.



Going forward, Post doctoral degree holders are not required to submit a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree for assessment. Similarly for those who have a master’s degree are not required to submit bachelors



The instructions are different for those who went to school in a francophone country, and there may be some applicants who will have to send in additional credentials. However, if your highest credential is a DEUG, DUT or Licence, then they do not need to send in your Diplôme du Bac, or BEP.  Following do not need to submit their DEUG, DUT or Licence for evaluation:


  • Maîtrise, Master, Diplôme d’Ingénieur;
  • Diplôme de Grandes Écoles;
  • DEA;
  • Diplôme d’État de Docteur en Médicine; or
  • Diplôme d’Etat de Docteur en Pharmacie.
  • Those whose have a Diplôme de Docteur do not need to submit their:


  • Maîtrise, Master, Diplôme d’Ingénieur,
  • Diplôme de Grandes Écoles;
  • DEA;
  • Diplôme d’Etat de Docteur en Médecine; or
  • Diplôme d’Etat de Docteur en Pharmacie.



Additionally, Translations are not required for documents submitted in French language. Majority of documents submitted in other languages will require translation. Also certain applicants applying from India will have to send additional credentials. Applicants with following degrees from India are not required to send their bachelors degree



  • Master of Education
  • Master of Engineering
  • Master of Philosophy
  • Master of Technology


Other Indian applicants who are sending in a master’s degree or postgraduate diploma to get assessed will have to send their bachelor’s degree. Further, applicants who have a PhD do not need to send a bachelor’s or master’s degree for evaluation.



ECA for Express Entry


Applicants planning to apply for Canadian immigration under express entry program are required to get an ECA. Applicants who have completed their education from outside Canada are required assessment for being eligible under the federal skilled worker program and to claim points in the CRS. Also, for applicants planning to apply with spouse and claim points can earn points in case their spouse or common in law partners gets an ECA. Candidates need to ensure that ECA is not older than five years when submitting their express entry profile or applying for Canada PR.