Tier-4 Visa Guidance to study in the UK

The United Kingdom has point based 4 Tier Visa System which allows immigration to the UK for the residents outside the European Economic Area to come, study, work and live in the UK. The population who’re students and want to study in the UK fall under the Tier-4 Visa Category. Being a study abroad aspirant aspiring to study in the UK, you’ll require TIER-4 Visa for filing your application to get visa for the UK.

What is TIER-4 Category?

  • The UK has 4 Tier Visa Category which are:
  • Tier-1 Visa: High Value Migrants/ Exceptional Talent Visa
  • Tier-2 Visa: Visa for Skilled Workers
  • Tier-3 Visa: Low Skilled Workers Visa – NOT into EXISTENCE
  • Tier-4 Visa: International Student Visa
  • Tier-5 Visa: Visa for Temporary Workers

Tier-4 Visa Category allows students from outside European Economic Area (EEA) to study in the UK at a school, college or university. This has further subcategory:

  • Tier-4 (General) Student Visa
  • Tier-4 (Child) Student Visa

à To apply for a Tier-4 Student Visa, you’ll need a CAS – Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies from a UK Educational Institution that has a valid TIER-4 Sponsorship License.

The Tier-4 Sponsorship License allows the education providers based in the UK to sponsor study abroad aspirants to study in the UK.

How to apply for TIER-4 (General) Student Visa to study in the UK?


  • You need to be atleast 18 years old or above.
  • Your course should be eligible.
  • The Education Provider you’ve chosen to study in the UK should have Tier-4 Sponsorship License.


  1. You should have CAS- Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies provided by your Education Provider in which you’ve applied to pursue your further education.
  2. Maintenance Requirements, this includes:

Course Fees

Living Costs

  1. English Language Ability (IELTS/TOEFL/PTE)


  1. Have UNCONDITIONAL Offer-Letter from your Education Provider.
  2. Pay Tuition Fees required or as asked in your Offer Letter.
  3. Get your CAS through e-mail (atleast 4 months before commencement of your study-program).
  4. Verify the details on the CAS are correct within 5 Days.
  5. Prepare your Financial Evidence accordingly (First-Year Fees and Living Costs)
  6. Ensure that funds are held for 28 consecutive days before applying for your student-visa to study in the UK.
  7. Have other Document-Requirements prepared for Visa-Application.
  8. Apply for your visa ONLINE.
  9. Pay the visa application fee of £348. (You may opt for any priority application services by paying more).
  10. Pay the Immigration Health Surcharge to access the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) meant for the International Students coming to study in the UK.
  11. Book an appointment to visit Visa Application Centre (in order to submit your documents in-person and to get your Biometrics done).

On Visa-Approval

  1. Have a Vignette Visa Sticker on your passport having 30 Days validity allowing you to travel to the UK.
  2. Have a decision letter from UK Visas and Immigration confirming that your visa application is successful.
  3. Your full visa will be printed on a biometric residence permit (BRP) which must be collected within ten days of arriving in the UK.

Choosing an appropriate eligible course and licensed Tier-4 Sponsorship Education Provider to study in the UK can be quiet confusing. At West Highlander Study Abroad Consultancy, meet updated and experienced counsellors to guide you through your education choice to study in the UK. The visa-application process can be little daunting. To make it a hassle-free process, we have team of visa-file experts to guide you through your visa application. The team works under the expert guidance of veteran Mr. Gurvinder Singh – a British Council Education UK Certified Agent. We have more than 14 years of experience and renowned in the region for high visa-approval success rate.

To get guidance on studying abroad, feel free to call at West Highlander.