Throughout the globe, one profession which has been responsible for driving economic and societal growth is Civil Engineering. With a country like Canada, where growth in economic sectors is ever increasing, the need for skilled and talented Civil Engineers is wide too. Civil engineering is the most coveted and well-paying profession in Canada and graduates who apply for Masters in Civil Engineering in Canada enjoy various benefits along with the benefit of staying in Canada permanently as Canada PR.
Students mostly who have graduated in Civil Engineering wonder what is the scope of Masters in Civil Engineering in Canada? Our Canada study counselors can provide you with complete information on the lucrative career pathway you have in front of you.
Benefits of Masters in Civil Engineering in Canada
- Qualified Civil Engineers are highly in demand in Canada due to numerous projects throughout the country and requirement of skilled and talented workforce to show it direction.
- Provinces such as British Columbia and Alberta require experts from Civil Engineering field due to the continuously growing projects.
- Once you have a Masters in Civil Engineering in Canada the salary packages grow exponentially as there is a dearth of talented Civil Engineers due to which many employers do look outside the country.
- Global exposure and experience of working in a highly developed environment and facing newer challenges can help in sharpening the skills.
- Detailed technical knowledge and specialization can make you the expert in the field having problem-solving analytical core engineering skills.
Requirements for Masters in Civil Engineering in Canada
- The minimum undergraduate GPA requirement is between 3-4 scale or 75% in the final year of your Bachelors in Civil Engineering of 4 years.
- Secondly, you would be required to provide language proficiency score which is IELTS/TOEFL. The minimum IELTS band requirement for Masters in Civil Engineering in Canada is 7.0.
- GRE/GMAT test scores to be submitted too. However, some of the universities do not mandatorily ask for the same.
- Work Experience and SOP are certain additional documents that can be required with your application which your Canada study consultant in Chandigarh can guide you about.
Top Universities for Masters in Civil Engineering in Canada
- University of Waterloo
University of Waterloo is a public research university in Ontario. Civil Engineering program offered by University of Waterloo is one of the best programs. The university provides students with the opportunity to participate in 6 co-op terms which is helpful to understand the diversified career options. You get access to high tech simulation labs and on an average a student earns around $17,000 during co-op term which is helpful financial support towards your tuition cost.
2. University of Toronto
Situated in downtown Toronto, University of Toronto’s civil engineering department is highly reputable established in 1873. The university offers variety of programs including research and undergraduate specialization programs too. As the university is located in the heart of the development of urban centers students get a lot of opportunities for hands on research and study opportunities. You get an option to choose from structural engineering, transportation planning and geomechanics which can further enhance your knowledge of civil engineering field.
3. McGill University
McGill University is another popular option for those thinking about the scope of Masters in Civil Engineering in Canada. A public university situated in Montreal McGill University offers excellent educational facilities. Soil Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Environmental Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transportation engineering, water resource engineering are some of the widely popular courses opted by students.
- University of British Columbia
University of British Columbia is situated in Vancouver and one of the public research universities. The university offers excellent civil engineering programs. UBC also offers several co-op programs which can help students in finding the best work experience opportunities while going through their academic progress alongside.
5. University of Alberta
University of Alberta is situated in Edmonton and is another public research university with a highly sought after engineering school. State of the art research equipments along with 900 undergraduate and 500 graduate students are enrolled in civil engineering program. Students get the opportunity to choose between coop programs or degree programs based on their own requirement.
- Dalhousie University
Situated in Nova Scotia, Dalhousie University is public research university with a vast engineering program. Civil Engineering at Dalhousie University has around 300 plus undergraduate students and 70 graduate students in various degree courses such as Masters, Masters of Applied Sciences and PhD degrees. The university offers traditional degree course along with co-op opportunities too.
- Concordia University of Montreal
Concordia University of Montreal is situated in Quebec and has three different study pathways. Civil Infrastructure program focusing on the urban development aspect, environmental programs which primarily focus on finding sustainable methods of treatment of waste and construction engineering and management, which primarily focuses on construction industry.
- Western University
Western University is another educational hub in the province of Ontario. The civil engineering school at Western University is par excellence in terms of its research program and also for international standards and academic course. Civil Engineering students at Western University find the highlight of the program in fourth year design projects which is held in partnership with city of London, Ontario and all students receive mentorship of professional consulting and faculty advisors. Further range of programs include structural engineering program, environmental programs as well dual degree where students can specialize in both law and civil engineering and business and civil engineering.
- University of Calgary
University of Calgary is situated in Alberta and the civil engineering program is part of Schulich School of Engineering. The university offers four areas of specialization –structural, transportation, entrepreneurship and management engineering.
- Queen’s University
Queen’s University situated in Kingston, Ontario offers civil engineering programs in variety of areas. High tech research facilities at the university along with Kennedy Field Station, Coastal Engineering Laboratory are some of the star attraction of this University. Smaller class sizes and additional job networks are some of the benefits a student opting of Masters in Civil Engineering in Canada can look forward to.
The tuition fee for the course of Masters in Civil Engineering in Canada ranges from CAD $20,000-CAD $ 30,000.
On an average the salary with Bachelors in Civil Engineering is around CAD $ 80,300 yearly whereas a Masters in Civil Engineering can fetch you a salary of approximately CAD $ 147,000 yearly.
Work Rights and Permanent Residency
Students after completing their courses in Masters in Canada can definitely apply for a post-study work permit depending on the duration of their course. In case your course is for 2-3 years similar years of post-study work permit are provided. Your Canada study consultant in Chandigarh can guide you on the same. Further, on successfully gaining work experience one can apply for Canada PR programs such as Express Entry or settle in a particular province with Express Entry linked Provincial Nominee Program for Canada.
Why West Highlander?
- We are one of the best Canada education consultants in Chandigarh.
- We offer a FREE profile assessment to understand the reasons of refusal of your Canada study visa application.
- We offer friendly and personalized service so that we can understand the previous gaps which resulted in the refusal and make sure we do not leave any stone unturned in reapplying and success of your Canada study visa application.
- We have been pioneers in Canada study visa services for the last 15 years and understand the requirements and latest development in the immigration programs and keep our team apprised of the developments for the success of our clients.