Frequently Asked Questions about Studying in Canada

The most common queries by students related to studying in Canada answered to ensure you do not feel confused while applying for the study application.



1. How can I study in Canada?



To study in Canada you need to get admission in a designated learning institute recognized by Canadian government which has a registered DLI number. For this the student needs to fulfill the requirement of the Canadian institute-College/University he/she is planning to apply. Generally, the requirement would include having your previous educational records, language tests, financial funding proof and having a statement of purpose drafted and sent to the institute. You would receive a letter of acceptance in case the institute accepts your application. After this you can continue with the process of obtaining your Canada study permit which would be for the time of your study course.



2. What will it cost to study in Canada?




The cost of studies in Canada requires you to have enough money to cover your tuition fees and be able to bear the living expenditure. You need to show proof of fund which is a GIC of CAD $10,000 plus tuition fee cover for 1 year study course. In case you show more amount in your bank statement justifying you would be able to cover further cost in the next study year the chances of application approval are more. Additionally, in case your spouse is planning to come with you then for each member that accompanies you in your study course you need to show CAD $ 4000.



3. Can I apply for a scholarship to study in Canada?



Yes, there are numerous Canadian scholarships available for Indian students to study in Canada. For bright young minds with good academic records availing a Canadian scholarship is beneficial and well appreciated.




4. Is IELTS required in order to study in Canada?


As an international student if you are planning to opt for studying in Canada you would be required to giving an English language proficiency test. For graduate study course you need minimum IELTS band 6 with no less than 6 in each module. In case you do score 5.5 in one of the modules there are some exceptions and you can still study in Canada provided your course duration is minimum 2 years and your DLI accepts. For this you can apply under the non-SDS scheme and your Canada education consultant in Chandigarh can assist you for the same.


5. Is PTE test scores also accepted for studying in Canada? 


Yes, there are many Canadian universities and colleges in Canada which accept PTE scores. Consult with your Canada education consultant in Chandigarh for knowing more about the admission process and eligibility for studying in Canada with PTE scores.




6. Can I give CELPIP exam for studying in Canada?



No, CELPIP exam scores are accepted for immigration and permanent residency Canada express entry program for individuals planning to submit their express entry profile or apply through state nomination or federal government Canada PNP programs.



7. Is duolingo exam accepted for studying in Canada?



No, Duolingo test scores are not accepted for studying in Canada.




8. What is a Canada study permit?




Canada study permit is an authorization/permission given to international students to pursue their studies in Canada. Along with this you would be issued a TRV or temporary resident visa for the time of your stay in Canada. Make sure you carry all the documents you used for your study application for being permitted a Canada study permit. Your visa officer would review these documents and only then on satisfactory process would be you get success with your Canada study application.



9. What is the processing time for Canada study visa?


The processing time for your Canada study visa is approximately 2 months. However, a lot depends on the application and the time of starting the process for your study visa. It is best to consult your Canada education consultant in Chandigarh and begin the process 6 months prior to the intake at least.



10. If I want to study in Quebec, What is the procedure?




To study in Quebec you would have to apply for Certificate of Acceptance for Quebec (CAQ) from Quebec government and then apply for study permit.



11. What will happen if my Canada study visa application is refused?



In case your face a refusal in your Canada study visa application you would have to reapply after refusal and keep certain points in mind to avoid refusal and maximize your chances of success in the application.


12. Can I work while studying in Canada?



Yes, you are allowed to work 20 hours per week during your academic session. During your scheduled breaks you can work full time.



13. Can I stay in Canada after completion of my study program?



Yes, you can apply for a post study work permit which is an extension and depends on the number of years of your study course. In case the study course duration was less than 8 months then you cannot avail PSWP. However, in case your study course timeline is between 8-24 months then you would get post study work rights equal to duration of your study course. In case the study course duration is 2 years then you get 3 years of PSWP.



14. Can I bring my spouse with me to Canada?



To sponsor your wife/husband to Canada as an international student you need to be enrolled in a full-time study course at a DLI and apply for their open work permit.