FAQs for Educational Credential Assessment for Canada PR

FAQs for Educational Credential Assessment for Canada PR


  1. What is Educational Credential Assessment Canada?

Educational Credential Assessment or ECA Canada helps in assessing your educational qualification degree, diploma or certificate of foreign level as per Canadian standards of education.

In order to ensure that your educational qualification matches the level of Canadian education you need to apply for ECA.


  1. Do I need an ECA in express entry?

Yes! If you are applying in express entry ECA is required.


For Federal Skilled worker program under express entry to claim points for your education you need to obtain an ECA. Also, to claim CRS points ECA is necessary.


Hence, ECA is a necessary step to take prior to creating your express entry profile for Canada PR.


  1. Which organization can provide me an ECA?
  • International Qualifications Assessment Services
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
  • International Credential Evaluation Service
  • World Education Services
  • Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
  • For doctors Medical council of Canada provides ECA report
  • For pharmacists Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada provides ECA report


  1. What if I have more than 1 degree? Do I need an ECA for both?

If you have more than one degree or diploma to claim points for your Canada PR application then you would require an ECA.



In most cases you would need ECA for your highest degree.


For example you have done Master’s degree then you need an ECA for Masters and not for Bachelor’s degree.


  1. Do I need an ECA for my spouse?

If you are applying to express entry as a skilled worker alone then you do not.

But in case your spouse is accompanying you and you wish to claim their points then you need an ECA.


  1. What documents are needed for ECA?
  • Degree/Certificates
  • Mark sheets/ Transcripts


  1. Do I need to send original documents?

No, you do not need to send original documents but copies of the original documents.


  1. What is the processing time for ECA?

It usually depends on the organization that you have applied to for ECA.


  1. Is there validity for ECA?

Yes, there is a validity of 5 years for your ECA report.


  1. Is there a fee for ECA?

Yes, there is a fee for ECA. Depending on which organization you are applying to get ECA the fee would vary.


To ensure that your express entry profile is completely assessed and you gain maximum points for your profile it is best to consult a Canada PR immigration consultant. West Highlander incepted in the year 2005 has been continuously thriving for excellence and has successfully delivered results for Canada Immigration to applicants. To ensure you get fast results under genuine licensed experts contact the best!.